40 hours per week
Fixed until September 2024
Grimm & Co
Hours and Working Pattern:
Term of Employment:
23rd of February 2024
How to Apply
Please submit your CV, a covering letter and an EDI monitoring form (EDI Monitoring Form) to email@example.com. The covering letter should outline – with examples - each bullet point from the Person Specification.
We are looking for an experienced retail assistant to work in our wonderful shop – The Apothecary to the Magical. Our products are a little strange, witty, funny, practical, beautiful and fun, but best of all the proceeds are used to support the charity.
Grimm & Co is a Yorkshire charity, based in Rotherham, that supports children and young people to make meaning of the world around them and build a positive narrative for themselves within it through the joyful discovery of stories.
Our Emporium of Stories is an enchanting story destination with a Book Nook, Apothecary to the Magical, a story market, the Feastery (serving story-themed food and drink) and secret doors that hide beanstalks and writing/theatre spaces, where imaginations are ignited for children and young people to bring stories to life.
“Our Y4 children have loved every minute of it. It has been amazing to see the children grow in confidence and flourish and thrive with their creativity. There is such power in the words we choose and how we choose to say them. Creativity gives our children a voice, a voice to be heard and a voice that brings light into their world and light up other people's worlds. I am immensely proud of them and of you all for your hard work and dedication. So, a big thank you.”
Headteacher, Rawmarsh Ashwood Primary School
Spoken Word Power project, 2023.
Are you still interested? Read on!
Some key terms/conditions of the role:
You will receive 25 days annual leave plus all UK Bank Holidays – pro rata.
Hours/FTE: 40 hours between Monday to Sunday (including some evening work). This role is full-time, part-time applicants will be taken into consideration.
Reports to: The Retail Manager
Salary starts at £20,980.00 (this will increase in April 2024).
A charity that rewards loyal staff with enhanced terms and conditions around maternity/paternity leave, a strong commitment to your well-being and good working conditions.
Please see full Job Description and Person Specification below.
How to apply for this role:
Please submit your CV, a covering letter and an EDI monitoring form (EDI Monitoring Form) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The covering letter should outline – with examples - each bullet point from the Person Specification (see below). In the subject field please write “Application for Retail Assistant” followed by your name.
Grimm & Co wish to make their application process as accessible as possible. If you are experiencing any barriers in applying for this position, please contact us to discuss this further. We also welcome your thoughts on how we can improve our approach so please do tell us if your experience of this process could have been improved.
If you have questions about the role and would like to have an informal conversation before submitting a completed application form, please contact the Head of Operations to arrange a conversation by emailing email@example.com.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday the 23rd of February 12pm – noon.
Interviews will be held on: Friday the 1st of March.
Please inform us of any issues regarding this date at application stage.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
• Excitement and enthusiasm in promoting Grimm & Co’s vision, aims and objectives to share our story and link our work to local strategy and needs.
• Support with the day-to-day running of Grimm & Co’s physical retail space and online shopping platform by assembling online orders ready for posting, till and shop floor cover.
• Provide excellent customer service to create and enhance the shopping experience of the Grimm & Co community.
• Work with the retail manager to create on-brand visually impactful product displays.
• Support with sourcing new sustainable on-brand products by sharing ideas and research in sourcing suppliers, costing and pricing.
• Ensure accuracy in cash handling, till operation and stock control.
• Work with the retail team to ensure the shop is fully stocked through stock assembly, stock control procedures and product ordering.
• Provide the manager with assistance of administration and report writing.
• Where relevant and required for the role, attend any suitable training and development sessions which may include First Aid, Safeguarding, and Food Safety.
• Be collectively responsible for maintaining health and safety practices and reporting anything unsafe to a member of the management.
• Suggest ideas for promotions, events and displays to the retail manager.
• Attending regular staff meetings.
• Helping to welcome and encourage volunteers in the shop by demonstrating, sharing information and shadowing.
• Work in a way that improves equity, inclusivity and relevance in our retail provision to ensure all of Grimm & Co is fit for purpose and engages communities.
• Working with the catering and creative team to enhance activities, events and delivery that Grimm & Co provide.
The job description is designed to outline a range of main duties that may be encountered. It is not designed to be an exhaustive listing of tasks and can be varied in consultation with the post holder in order to reflect changes in the role or needs of the organisation.
Person Specification: As mentioned above please use this person specification to create your covering letter using the bullet points below.
Essential qualifications and experience:
• Experience of working in a busy shop environment.
• The ability to motivate and support other team members and volunteers.
• Experience in the smooth running of a shop including – supporting with opening and locking up, ordering, maintaining high standards of customer service, hygiene and health & safety.
• Experience across all retail functions including customer service, till operation, stock takes, merchandising, and stock assembly.
• Actively working to embed equity, diversity, and inclusion in your practice.
• Excellent organisational, administrative, and digital literacy skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in delivering an online shopping and delivery service.
• Must be used to a busy working environment and able to cope with the demands of the peaks & troughs.
• Experience in working alongside volunteers.
• An ability to deliver/perform a shop script and activities such as birthday parties or wand-making experiences.
• A valid UK driving licence.
Thank you for your interest in the role and good luck in applying!