Stop Loan Sharks Community Funding 2018
The England Illegal Money Lending Team has funding available for groups that want to raise awareness of the issues of illegal money lending.
The money available has come from the proceeds of crime taken from convicted illegal money lenders.
Illegal Money Lenders, more commonly known as Loan Sharks, lend money without having the correct permissions from the Financial Conduct Authority. They often give cash loans out without any paper work and want double the amount back or charge extortionate interest rates. When you struggle to make repayments they may use violence, threats and intimidation, to ensure you keep paying them. The aim of this funding is to give groups the opportunity to raise awareness of the issue, in their community in a different way.
Who can apply?
Local residents, charities, community and voluntary groups, schools and statutory agencies.
How much can you apply for?
Up to £5000
What you can spend the money on?
Funds can be spent on any worthwhile community project that meets the following criteria:
- Contributes to raising the awareness of the dangers of using loan sharks
- Prevents crime and disorder and publicises the Stop Loan Sharks message
- Promotes the work of the Illegal Money Lending Team (IMLT) in communities
- Encourages reporting of loan sharks
What you can’t spend the money on?
Funds can’t be used to support an existing project that only adds Illegal Money Lending to its program. The Stop Loan Sharks message must be at the core of the project! As such funds cannot be spent on:
- Repeating an existing project
- Staff salary, day to day running costs of your organisation or vehicle costs. We can, however, pay for additional sessional staff costs
- Producing freebies, publicity merchandise or distribution costs.
- Staff training – we can deliver this for free
- Plays – we will only fund plays that have a guaranteed audience of 50 people. If significantly less people attend we will ask for some funding to be returned.
- Food – we can fund tea and coffee for projects but not food
- Any costs you incur whilst putting together your application
For more information and to apply, please check out the link below: